Saturday, October 11, 2008

Own up

Well, your CD collection looks shiny and costly.
How much did you pay for your bad Moto Guzi?
And how much did you spend on your black leather jacket?
Is it you or your parents in this income tax bracket?

Now tickets to concerts and drinking at clubs,
Sometimes for music that you haven't even heard of.
And how much did you pay for your rock'n'roll t-shirt
That proves you were there,
That you heard of them first?


Thanks a lot, asshole - this mess is all YOUR fault.

Well, it's also my fault.

This whole fucking mess is the fault of EVERYONE.

This is OUR fault. It is our fault because of YouTube.



I loved the Muppet Show growing up. Back when they didn't have three seperate Muppet Channels on Dish Network, they used to play reruns of the Muppet show on Channel 13. (this was before it was called "FAUX") I saw this skit when I was about fourteen years old and it made me laugh. It made me laugh because I had just learned what "modulate" meant and when the sock shouts that and the key changed, for some reason I thought this was the funniest thing in the world. But that was the last time I saw it.

But now if I want to watch it, I can just find it on YouTube. Or Google. Or anywhere, really.

And this is why we're in The Great Depression version 2.0.

Because we can get what we want whenever we want it.

If we want a funny skit from the 1970s we just Google it.

If we want a Grateful Dead song from the June 10, 1973 concert at RFK Stadium? Go here. http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead.

Your desire to see Estelle Getty naked? Go to http://www.GoldenGirls.com/archives/Estelle/naughty/ggilf.jpeg.

Want a brand new Glock 22? Give the clerk your credit card with the $22K limit.

Want a boat, a jet ski, a snowmobile, and an ATV? Sure - for a 29.95% interest rate.

Want a Mercedes? Why not! It'll be basically an overpriced Ford with a fancier paint job, but hey, it's yours.

Want a house despite your shitty credit and shitty job? You Betcha!

Oh, a brand new house? Well.....ok.

Or, better yet, want to buy a POS house then spend the next forty months fixing it up and annoying the hell out of your friends with your stories about mahagony and annoying the hell out of your neighbors with your giant trash bin out front? Sure - why not. Now, you're not only a HOMEOWNER but a GENERAL CONTRACTOR and ARCHITECT as well! (I could do an entire PSA about how much I detest you people that buy a perfectly good house in a perfectly good neighborhood just to gut the shit out of it or tear it down just to build your "dream home" thereby eclipsing the view and peace of those around. I hope it collapses on top of you, you arrogant brat)

It's the same entitlement that we fell in getting whatver we want off the internet that led this generation in thinking they were entitled to a house and the accompanying toys. In fact we have a sense of entitlement in just about EVERYTHING. This includes jobs Don't like your job? Quit! Don't get paid enough? Quit? No experience? Hell - you OWE me a job!

So we do it. And, we get in over our heads because we think we are owed a job, a house a car and toys. We think that since we live in an age where even the most trivial things are at our fingertips that the big things, the things that mean the most to us should be there too.

We compound this problem with the fact that we don't have ANY compassion for those that do fail. It's their fault they couldn't keep up. Or, better yet, we blame the big business, or the government. ANYONE really. Anyone that gave us enough rope for us to loop it over that oak branch. We blame them for allowing us to climb up the ladder. WE blame anyone but ourselves for allowing us to step off that ladder and slowly choke. It's not our fault. It's THEM.

And, now we're screwed.

It's your fault.

It's my fault.

Maybe we're not entitled to it all.




Just don't take away my Muppets.



2 comments:

rubybean77 said...

AMEN! Alex loved that muppets clip!

Anonymous said...

BEN!!!OMGWTFBBQ!?!??!

So, I just wanted you to know, that I turned in my notice at my job on Monday and start my new job on the 3rd of November. Really. I just thought I'd let you know as part of your rant here. ;)